OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Bruce Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2010 09:02:19 -0500
I'm very curious.  What are the ranges of the birds that do not migrate?  It's my impression that the birds I see at my feeder (house and gold finches, chickadees, and cardinals) have maybe a half mile range or so.  I can see them move from my feeders to the neighbors and circulate around from one to the other.  But how far do they really roam?  Down the street, around the corner and back, or could they be going miles each day.  Could a house finch you see today, not be seen again for weeks?

Mostly just guessing, but I speculate that in the wintertime the birds form bigger flocks.  So the 20 house finches you see today are at other times in the year in smaller groups of 4 or 5.  These smaller groups are possibly one or two family groups move around from feeding area to feeding area, so you only see a few at a time.

How far does a bird have to travel for it to be considered migrating?  Are eagles wintering at Hoover, considered migrants?  They aren't nesting there.

GB
Bruce Miller
Columbus, OH
Web Photo Gallery: http://www.redtail.smugmug.com/