OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Robert Mortron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Mortron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2010 19:00:46 -0500
Drove to Columbus from Fremont, Ohio to view the movie "Low Impact Man" at
the old Studio 34 theatre. Saw an immature Bald Eagle soaring over Rt. 23
just north of the Marion exits. The event was sponsored by the Ohio Sierra
Club and Ohio Environmental Council (OEC)Drove down from Fremont. Had a
great day birding here in Columbus. Visited the Olentangy River Wetland
Research Park and saw a large immature Rough-legged Hawk high in a tree
overlooking the river. It was eathing something until a Red-shouldered
Hawk flew over it. Mallards were in the river and in the Wetland Research
Center marshes. Drove to the Chadwick Arboretum on the OSU campus and saw
a thousand Am Robins there. Many were eating  large red berries from the
fruitful trees and bushes there. Several Northern Mockingbirds there as
well. I believe that there is a House Finch invasion. My daughter's
neighbor had them overwhelming his feeders...they crowded out the House
Sparrows! Lastly, did some birding at Columbus Audubon Center. 8 pairs of
Hooded Mergansers, several Goldeneye, and 7 Great Blue Herons were in the
river. Fun time! Robert at CREATE A WILDLIFE FRIENDLY YARD site.
http://wildlifefriendlylawn.blogspot.com/