OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 2010 15:53:28 -0800
It was a joy to have Emil Bacik back in the field with me today as we cruised a traditional route around rural Lorain Co looking for winter residents.  Raptor totals were certainly subpar - no harriers were encountered in the usual spots, though kestrel numbers have remained fairly upbeat in recent years around here.  We watched a female kestrel investigating nesting locales under the eaves of a decaying home.  Only three Red-tails were in the area - one juv. - and Rough-leggeds were limited to two - one light, one dark - whereas the same roads yielded as many as 14 in a single day a year before.    As others have mentioned, Rough-legs are an cyclical species, so their sparse presence in Ohio this winter need not be a cause for immediate concern.  Those present at the OOS event at The Wilds last Sat. can attest that Rough-legged Hawk/harriers in this area were certainly below their norm, as well. A young Red-shouldered on Hawley Rd.. was a
 nice surprise, and in the same area were a mockingbird and ad. White-crowned Sparrow.  Evidence of wintering owls was abundant at Caley Woods - both Long-eared & saw-whet pellets were in abundance, but no owls were detected.  Two Rusty Blackbirds passed overhead on Hawley Rd., bordering Findley SP, but we could find no wintering Purple Finches where they were a sure thing last year.  Soon after hopping on I-480 N, we passed three Red-taileds and an ad Red-shouldered in ~3 mile stretch, echoing comments made by John Blakeman earlier this week.  Finally, a gap in the ice at Oberlin Reservoir held four Ring-necked Ducks, and a couple hundred common gulls.

Best in birding -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland