OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:28:17 -0500
This was the first day in a few weeks that I was able to watch the lake.
Two weeks ago it was ice and last week fog.  There is still about 100 feet
of ice along the shoreline, but lots of open water beyond that.  There were
a few gulls passing by today but nothing out of the ordinary.  There were
very few ducks.

I stopped briefly at East 72nd Street later in the morning.  It didn't look
like they were pumping much hot water and north winds had brought some ice
in.  As a result there were not a lot of birds and those that were around
were mainly sitting on the ice.  I saw a 1st/2nd cycle glaucous and Tom
Bartrlett saw an adult glaucous.  Not much else.  At Eastlake there was a
nice mix of ducks and gulls, but low numbers.  Here too, the ice had blown
in.  There were canvasbacks, redheads, scaup, bufflehead and a Bonaparte's
amongst the more common things.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey
North Perry, Lake County
January 23, 2010, 730-930