OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Craig Caldwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Caldwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 2010 08:39:23 -0800
Highlights of a long day with Tim Colborn, Henry Fortlage, and Eileen Zimlich -

Old Woman Creek: at least 14 Bald Eagles, mostly immatures; at least 10 Wild Turkeys roosting in treetops across estuary from the observation platform.  They dropped out of sight soon after our arrival at 7:40.

Huron:  One Glaucous Gull with all the Herring and Great Black-backed Gulls in the bay west of the channel.

Sheldon's Marsh:  Surprisingly unbirdy.  Several woodpeckers (3 species), many cardinals, a small flock of House Finches with one leucistic individual who might have been a goldfinch tagging along.

Castalia:  Also suprisingly unbirdy compared to many January days - Canada Geese, Mallards, N. Shovelers, Bufflehead, Am. Wigeon, Gadwall, blacks.

Erie and Sandusky Co. roads from Castalia west (Oxbo, Yetter, Stocker, and Whitmore):  Many Bald Eagles, Red-tailed Hawks, one Northern Harrier, and a flock of Eastern Bluebirds.

Killdeer Plains:
Red-tailed Hawk - at least 10
American Kestrel - at least 7
Northern Harrier - 1
Rough-legged Hawk - 1 along OH 67 just north of KP
Long-eared Owl - 1 in oak tree across CH 71 from Cedar Oak Farm.  It was seen to fly from a spruce by a birder who started a there-it-is chain for later arrivals.  No owls seen in the grove behind Cedar Oak; it's very open now due to many blowdowns and aging of the remaining pines and may no longer be attractive to long-ears.
Short-eared Owl - 1 heard and at least 1 seen to the north from the Sportsman's Center.  It was nearly dark and the flying bird (or birds) couldn't be continuously tracked.
Great Horned Owl - 1 heard while we were waiting for the short-ears.
Northern Pintail - 1 in Pond 27.

From a now well-rested Craig Caldwell, Westlake