OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 2010 08:22:38 -0800
As part of the O'shaughnessy CBC yesterday I braved the cold with Matt, Gretchen and Michael to see what we could find.  We only had 41 birds, but a lot of them were good ones!  I'm sure Darlene Sillick will post an update on all that was observed, so I'll just include some of our group's highlights for January listers:

Red-headed woodpecker- Phone pole at leatherlips yacht club, West side of reservoir
Bald Eagles- Pair observed from leatherlips on ice and perched in trees on East side of reservoir
Catbird-  In honeysuckle bush with hundreds of house sparrows, in residential area across from leatherlips
Yellowbellied sapsucker- Area T on West side of reservoir
Yellow-rumped warbler-  Area T on West side of reservoir
Pileated Woodpecker- Private residence downstream of dam (have also seen them in park just downstream of dam)
Winter wren- Same as above
Great-horned owl- Same as above
Wood ducks- Same as above, flew south along river when startled.
Golden-crowned kinglet- Park just south of dam (West side)
Snow Geese- Flyover, probably headed to northern quarry where another team found some  nice ducks (canvasback, et al).
Bluebirds- lots, at almost every stop!

Also got a great view of a Coopers hawk eating what was most likely a house sparrow on a gaurdrail in Muirfuield (didn't stop eating as we slowly drove past it, within a few feet!).

Please contact Darlene Sillick if you want to be part of this relatively new count next year!!!

I also had a yellow-bellied sapsucker joining the hairy, downy, and red-bellied woodpeckers at my home suet feeder today.  Thought I caught a fleeting glimpse of a pine siskin, but couldn't relocate it.

Happy New Year!
Heather