OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 2010 18:20:25 -0500
I did some birding today starting with Blackbrook Audubon Society at Holden Arboretum's Strong
Acres in Kirtland and not much action because of the high winds. Here is what I saw there: Canada
Goose, Red-tailed Hawk, Ring-billed Gull, American Crow, European Starling, American Robin.
Also spotted 2 Raccoons on a tree.

Next our group stopped at West Woods Nature Center in Geauga County looking for the Purple
Finches at the feeders and were lucky with 1 male and 1 female. Others were: Red-bellied
Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Blue Jay, Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted
Titmouse, Red-breasted Nuthatch, White-breasted Nuthatch, American Tree Sparrow, Song
Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, Northern Cardinal, American Goldfinch.

In the afternoon I stopped at Chagrin River Park in Willoughby to look for the Rusty Blackbirds,
but had no such luck. Saw some birds and many deer; American Robin, Northern Cardinal, House
Sparrow. Also had 10-13 White-tailed Deer almost 5 feet away from me. I'm going to stop at
Chagrin River Park tomorrow again to look for the Rusty Blackbirds and will check out the eagle
nest by the Mentor Marsh.

Good Birding,
Cole F. DiFabio
Madison Ohio