OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Sean Artman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Artman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 07:51:43 -0500
"Every source of energy has some environmental consequences. Most of
today's rapidly growing demand for energy is now being met by natural
gas and expanded coal-burning power plants, which are this country's
single greatest source of the greenhouse-gas emissions that cause
global warming. If we don't find ways to reduce these emissions, far
more birds—and people—will be threatened by global warming than by
wind turbines. Our challenge is thus to help design and locate
wind-power projects that minimize the negative impacts on birds."
http://www.audubon.org/campaign/wind/audubon_view.html

"After dozens of studies spanning nearly two decades, we now know that
the Altamont Pass situation is unusual in the U.S. The high raptor
mortality there was the result of a convergence of factors, some of
which were due to the bad siting in the local ecosystem while others
were due to the wind turbine and tower technology used at the time. In
fact, a very different situation exists not far away at the San
Gorgonio Pass Wind Farms near Palm Springs. A 1986 study found that 69
million birds flew though the San Gorgonio Pass during the Spring and
Fall migrations. During both migrating seasons, only 38 dead birds
were found during that typical year, representing only 0.00006% of the
migrating population."
http://www.awea.org/faq/sagrillo/swbirds.html