OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 07:42:56 -0800
Paul Gardner thoroughly answered the question of status, but
I am curious where you are seeing this report. I have
yet to see a report of Graylag Goose for Ohio within eBird,
although "Graylag Goose (domestic type)" is not an uncommon
entry.

The Notable Bird Gadget", as eBird calls it, is associated
with Google. This presently shows only a Pine Warbler at Greenlawn
Cemetery as reported by Laura Keene and John Hull.
To those unfamiliar with this feature, it will post for the most
recent 7 days, any item flagged by the checklist filters for a
given state ... you can toggle between states with a couple
of mouse clicks. More about it can be found here ...

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/home/birding-news-and-features/news/Google_Gadget.html

The posting is immediate, whereas that same record often takes 12-18 hrs
to appear within my review page. This means records appear here before
they can be vetted.  It is intended as an alert system and like any other can be
prone to erroneous reports. Watch for the green check mark which appears
after my validation. If I leave it invalid, I believe the observation is
dropped from the list but I'm not sure how quickly this happens. Of
course, if I am out of town, or otherwise cannot review that record, it
may spend the entire week on the list without being checked and
still be a valid observation ... use your own best judgment.

I also checked Jack Siler's map and found only Lesser Black-backed Gull,
Iceland Gull, and Long-eared Owl. Jack's map differs as all reports, not
just flagged items, are scanned for birds that possess an American Birding
Association code of 2-5 ... a subjective system of relative difficulty to
observe ... for example Lesser Black-backed Gull is a 2, as is Yellow-billed
Loon (which for some of us is more like a 5 :-) You can find the map here ...

http://birdingonthe.net/gmaps/eBirdMap.html

I also cannot see this entry within the eBird database. Here is the
2010 Ohio checklist of 136 species as of yesterday.

http://tinyurl.com/yboaqk5

And as of a few minutes ago, nothing of this report had
appeared within my review page. Were it to do so, having
been flagged by the checklist filter, I would, for the reasons
given by Paul Gardner, approve the default status of invalid.

And for everyone reading this, please keep in mind that I have
absolutely no say over what one may enter within one's
personal records.  My treatment of these records only affects the
public portion of the database. One's records are your own ...
and only yourself may manipulate them.

cheers

Vic Fazio
Shaker Heights, OH