OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:04:01 -0500
Here is a post from the Florida BRDBRAIN Listserve I thought might be enjoyed by the Ohio birders. This reminds me of stories I would like to tell!

Bob Lane

Yesterday about 11:35 I was driving on west bound  I-4 just on the east side of Sanford around the Hwy 46 exit.  I noted a small flock of Cattle Egrets scattering in a 50 acre pasture to my right.  I could tell by the behavior one Egret was singled out  and was flying between the cars traveling over 70 mph to avoid a predator.  Before the Egret was able to cross all lane a car clipped the bird which was thrown about 20 feet in the air and the injured bird just able to make it to the media where a Red-shouldered Hawk grabbed it and claimed it’s prize.  I was surprised the Red-shouldered would select a prey its own size.  I have seen the Red Shouldered Hawk use me to flush prey and catch a lizard at my feet.  I just wonder if this hawk has used I-4 traffic to stun prey before taking the danger away from being injured by such a large bird.  If so this RSH is very cunning and very lucky.

Roy Halpin
Crescent City

 To subscribe, unsubscribe or view archives of the brdbrain listserv list, please visit us on the web at: http://listserv.admin.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html To set to no mail: send a message "SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL" to [log in to unmask] Report any problems to the listserv administrator: [log in to unmask] ____________________________________________________________________________