OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Sharon Hamersley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon Hamersley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 21:20:32 -0500
This is a complex subject, and I'm not the expert.  My son, who is an
environmental scientist, provided the following information:

There is ONE location in North America where wind power has a significant
negative impact on birds. In Altamont Pass, California (one of the oldest
wind power installations in the US), a unique design has caused many birds
to meet an untimely end. What is special about this location is that the
turbines are spaced very close together, sit low to the ground, spin
faster than most designs, and are mounted on a lattice framework instead
of a single mast. The framework is an attractive place for birds to nest
whereas they simply ignore newer high mast turbines.

Citation:

*http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea//news/article/2007/05/wind-
turbines-not-a-threat-to-u-s-bird-population-says-study-48393

Practically all other available research shows that turbines have no
significant effect on birds. Much greater threats to the avian population
come from cars, airplanes, power lines, domestic cats, and global warming.
In fact, it has been shown that fossil-fuel power is far more harmful per
GWh generated than wind.

Citations:

*http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V2W-4VVW4W3-
3&_user=10&_coverDate=06%2F30%
2F2009&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&amp;_docanchor=&view=c&_acct=C000
050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=e5ff6861ac0b333363dc9899a784
6019

*http://www.audubon.org/bird/cat/

*http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2008-11-06-birddogs_N.htm

Aesthetics is always a debatable subject. Certainly cluttered
installations such as the aforementioned Altamont Pass might be seen as
unattractive. That being said, most new installations look quite different
and surveys have shown that 70% of people either like them or are
indifferent. Also of note is that wind farms actually attract tourists
instead of repel them, as has often been claimed.

Citations:

*http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/aug/12/windpower.alternativee
nergy

*http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/business/story.html?