OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 2010 16:06:42 -0500
I took a drive around South Bass Island to see what the few patches of open
water left would yield on Saturday, January 2. At Chapman's Point (south of
Perry's Victory) were approximately 40 Tundra Swans right on the edge of the
ice along with many Common Goldeneye and Scaup.
To the east of  Scheeff East Point Nature Preserve was some open water with
about 20 Tundra Swans, Common Goldeneye, Mallards, Canada Geese, Common
Goldeneye, Scaup and Bufflehead. There were many more diving ducks out past
Buckeye Point but too far away to identify.
On the east side near the airport, one open spot yielded Mallards, Canada
Geese, a few Black Ducks, a couple of Hooded Mergansers, Common Goldeneye,
Bufflehead, Scaup.
Saw large flocks of northern cardinals on the ground feeding at the South
Bass Lighthouse and in another location.
Also on the east side were two mature Bald Eagles on the ice.There have been
numerous reports of two Bald Eagles all along the east side of the island
this winter. They might be the pair that nests at Middle Bass?
There were the first ice-fishing shanties off the South Bass State Park and
in the Bay! We will soon have numbers of gulls around to eat fishing leftovers.
Lisa Brohl