OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Paul Dubuc <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Dubuc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 2010 02:46:08 -0500
All:

Walked the Aullwood trails late morning to early afternoon and was pleased
to get nice looks at both Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks looking for
lunch.  Encountered an adult Cooper's in an area full of Chickadees and
Titmice, which it seemed to ignore, only perking up when a Cardinal called a
few times.  An hour later, a Sharpie flew in to my vicinity and picked a
sentinel perch near a flock of Chickadees, Titmice and a Nuthatch, and also
near a half dozen Goldfinch in a treetop, all of which it was eyeing with
jerky turns of its head.  A Red-bellied Woodpecker was working the same tree
the Hawk was in, only 15-20 feet away, and the Hawk was ignoring
it.  Recalling my experiences with the two species, I've seen Cooper's take
or try for Mourning Dove, Cardinal and Flicker; and Sharpie go for Redstart,
Downy Woodpecker and Swamp Sparrow.  Do they focus on different sized prey?
I haven't jotted down "Accipiter sp." in three years (hubris?), but it
doen't hurt to back up your GISS.

Two agitated American Crows flew into the small pine patch near the Bluegill
Pond while I was checking for signs of Owls and harrassed a large
raptor until it broke for the trees along the river.  The Crows took
pursuit, now joined by a third, and rousted what turned out to be a Great
Horned Owl from a succession of perches, finally losing it when it flew back
towards me and dove into the same evergreens where the whole thing started.
It was a masterful maneouver, because I couldn't relocate it either.

Two Great Blue Herons in the river with a few Canada Geese and Mallards.  A
wintering and comically puffed up Hermit Thrush was cooperative with a close
study.  May have heard a White-throated at one point, but otherwise
encountered not a single sparrow.

Bird well,

Paul
--