OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 06:38:26 -0800
I went looking for open water (and hopefully waterfowl) yesterday in eastern Mahoning Co.  The recent thaw and rains have all the small ditches, runs, streams, etc. running high now; where they flow into ponds and lakes you can find some unfrozen habitat.  Last week there was one good-sized open water hole at Evans L.; now there is at least 5 times more water available there.  Canada geese, mallards, Am. black ducks, ring-billed and herring gulls are still hanging around there, while 4 c. goldeneyes were fresh arrivals.  Nearby Pine L. was still 99% frozen and rather birdless.  Next I checked a small lake in Beaver Twp. (on private property off of Western Reserve Rd.) which is often surprisingly good for early spring waterfowl.  It had some open water and held 145 Canada geese, mallards, Am. black ducks, 10 gadwalls, 6 canvasbacks, 11 redheads, and a ring-necked duck.  Did these ducks winter nearby, or are waterfowl moving north already??  Also
 around Beaver Twp. I found a n. harrier, 10 Am. robins, Am. tree sparrows, and a white-crowned sparrow at a feeder.  Craig Holt, Lowellville