OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 2010 16:53:06 -0500
This is my first effort toward sighting 100+ species in OH. Considering I'll
be out of state 2 + weeks, we'll see how it goes... So far a mere  39
 species.

Saturday Jan 2nd within Cuyahoga Valley National Park:

American Robins @ every stop

Armington Pond on Quick Road:

1 Northern Flicker
1 Pileated Woodpecker

Pine Hollow Parking lot on Quick Road:

5 Eastern Bluebirds

Route 303 overtop CVNP sign (neat photos):

1 immature red-shouldered hawk

Route 303 Pine Lane trailhead:

Tree Sparrow - several

Bath Road Heron Rookery pull off:

1 sub-adult Bald Eagle
2 Killdeer
Cedar Waxwing - several
1 Grey Catbird
1 White-throated Sparrow
1 Song Sparrow

Bolanz Road Parking lot:

40+ Tree Sparrow ---- calling incessantly
3     Horned Lark

Station Road Trailheade:

2 Red-shouldered Hawk ---- both adults
2 American Black Duck mixed in with flock of Mallard Ducks

Lake Erie E 55th Street Parking:

Gadwall - Male
Redhead
Common Goldeneye
Red-breasted Merganser ---- 10 zillion +
scaup sp
Ring-billed, Greater Black-backed, Herring, and Bonaparte's Gulls

January 1st / 2nd yard list (Summit County):

1     Cooper's Hawk
2     Red-Tailed Hawk
2     Downy Woodpecker
20+ Mourning Dove
3     American Crow
10+ Blue Jay
       Black-Capped Chickadee - did not count (DNC)
6    Tufted-titmouse
2     White-breasted Nuthatch
12   Cardinal

      Dark Eyed Junco       DNC