OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 2010 17:26:28 -0500
Hello all,
I'll second Dick's post about the WHITE-WINGED DOVE, I was there with Dave and Emily Slager at around 11 when Jim McCarty and Steve Borges were just leaving and none of us saw the bird. We left from about 12-1:40pm when we birded Prairie Lane and Mesner Roads around Killbuck W.A. then returned to the feeders at 2-2:45 to try again for the dove, but had no luck again. We didn't see the Field Sparrow either, sad. This marks my third strike on this bird for OH, hopefully that doesn't mean I'm out. But there were other decent birds around here's a list of highlights from the main spots we hit.
Beery's Residence Feeder
Chipping Sparrow -1
Am. Tree Sparrows
D.E. Juncos
Song Sparrows
White-throated Sparrows
Hairy, Downy, Red-bellied Woodpeckers
Golden-crowned Kinglets
Eastern Towhee - 1 male on the way up driveway eating poison ivy berries.

Prairie Lane road
Canada Goose - hundreds couldn't pick out any Cacklers though
Tundra Swan - 10
Green-winged Teal - 1
Gadwall - 2
Am. Black Duck - 1
Mallard
Rough-legged Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk

Mesner Road near the dead treed swamp
Red-headed Woodpecker - 2 adult and FY
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1
Eastern Bluebird -1

On the way home route 514 to route 3, we had a pair of Black-Vultures(!) feeding on road kill (not sure exact spot sorry) and later a flock of about 50 Wild Turkeys in the corn.

Here at my feeders this evening the ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK was gone for an hour between 4-5, but just now has returned and sits leisurely at the feeder. And no, he's def. not a Black-headed Grosbeak, my feathered-friend here has a few red feathers on his white and tan (not orange) breast. I keep hoping he'll morph into one though. He might be Ohio's only record for december/january? Anybody know for sure on that? So far I've only been home enough to see him first thing in the morning until about 11:30, and then later before sunset, so I'm not sure of the exact hours he keeps at my feeders. I'll be around tomorrow to find out maybe.
Good-birding,
-Ben Warner