OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 2010 21:19:35 -0500
OHOS CBC Jan 2 highlights:

A quick thank you to the 35 (plus feeder watchers) birders helping yesterday
in single digit temperatures to find and locate a nice diversity of avian
species.  So far I have 71 species reported and again 3 locations yet to be
turned in.  I'm only noting some highlights as I'm still waiting for the
other reports.   This count circle takes in northern Franklin, southern
Delaware and Union Counties and runs from eastern Marysville, north east
Plain City, north Dublin, western Powell and southern Delaware with the
Scioto River cutting through the circle.  It takes in a nice mix of suburban
areas, croplands, large fields, a metro park and several city parks and 2
Delaware Preservation and Parks sites, The Columbus Zoo, many golf courses
and schools.   Despite the cold, the teams seemed to have a good time.  Last
year was a high number of species: 76.  Doubt we get there this year.
Always looking for more help and contact me if you are interested to join in
the fun for next year.

Three teams reported Lapland Longspurs mixed in with exceptionally large
numbers of Horned Larks.  One team reported a Snow Bunting and gave very
good descriptive comments to describe the bird. This was south of 42 and
west of Rt 33 and mixed in with many Horned Larks.

Glacier Ridge Metro Park took the lead on raptors.  At one time you could
see 4 species of raptors: red-tails, a kestrel, harriers and a rough-legged
hawk that has been watched for a couple days in the Honda Wetland area.
Also seen were cooper's, Red-shouldered Harks and a Barred Owl.  A Turkey
Vulture was seen Jan 2 and earlier in the week in Dublin as well as a Merlin
on Jerome Rd south of 42 was seen on Thursday.

Also counted were several pairs of Bald Eagles, a Sharp-shinned Hawk and 4
Great Horned Owls.

The quarry (at Merchant and Dublin Rd) had a constant moving/changing
flotilla of waterfowl: Pied-billed Grebe, Am. Black Ducks, Hooded Merganser,
Canvasback, Red-headed Ducks, Ring-necked Ducks and the river south of the
dam had Wood Ducks, Tundra Swans and Snow Geese were seen as well as a
Lesser Scaup.

Some other birds of note for the count: All woodpecker species, 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (thank you Heather Raymond), Winter Wrens (private
estate in Dublin), Golden Crowned Kinglets, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Eastern
Towhee, Swamp Sparrows, Fox Sparrow (seen by several people on several days
including Jan 2 at Cook Rd Ohio Wildlife Center in the back by the feeders),
4 Eastern Meadowlarks, Merchant Rd, one lone pheasant at GRMP, and a Gray
Catbird (seen by Heather Raymond).

Again these are highlights and I wanted others to try to get over to GRMP to
see the Rough-legged Hawk and check out the quarry which was totally open
today.  Good luck to all those in quest of their century lists.  Contact me
privately if you need other information.  This year I managed to take part
in 5 CBC's and each experience is so different and interesting.  Please
considering helping with a CBC next year.  It is a great way to help with
Citizen Science.  This was the 110th year for the National Audubon Christmas
Bird Count which runs from Dec. 14-Jan 5 each year.  It is an enormous
contribution to conservation.  The experience is a great way to learn your
winter birds, spend time with friends and in many areas it is a family
tradition and a great escape from cabin fever.

Thank you,

Darlene Sillick

Powell, Ohio

OHOS CBC Compiler