OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 2010 23:26:53 -0500
On Sunday, January 3, Kimberly and I found two Greater White-fronted Geese
in eastern Lucas County (northwest Ohio, east of Toledo).  They were
associating with the flock of about 600 Canada Geese that has its activity
centered on the area of the Meinke Marina West, just northeast of the
junction of Corduroy Road and North Teachout Road.  (For orientation, this
area is east of Maumee Bay State Park and a little west-northwest of Metzger
Marsh.)  The Marina itself is private property, but the geese range around
this area, returning to the water that's kept open by pumps, and you can see
a good percentage of the area from adjacent Anchor Point Road and the state
boat launch area that's just north of the marina. Greater White-fronted
Goose seems to be annual in very small numbers in northwest Ohio, mostly in
late fall and early spring, but there are fewer mid-winter records.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio