OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 19:39:54 -0800
Greetings!

My apologies for the late posting...it's been a crazy past few days...but here are some highlights for the last couple days of our grand January birding blitz around the state, but I wanted to get these out for folks who live in or who may be traveling to some of these areas this week or this coming weekend.

Su Snyder, Sue Evanoff, Ben Morrison and I had a great four-day trip around the state...nearly pulling-off 100 species in four days, but due to a slight deficiency in the overall diversity of winter gulls and waterfowl at various spots...we came up just a bit short.

Here are some of the highlights from the past three days...01/03-01/05.

01/03/10

Maumee Bay State Park Nature Center, Oregon, OH - Red-breasted Nuthatch (1)

Bayshore Power Plant Hot Water Outlet, Toledo, OH - Black-crowned Night-herons (21)
[Bayshore is closest to Harbor View, OH]

Maumee River (between Waterville and Grand Rapids, OH) - Lesser Black-backed Gull (10+) [We found the greatest concentration of birds closest to Waterworks Park south of Waterville]

Oak Openings Metropark Nature Center Feeders - Purple Finch (1F)

Wood County, OH...Portage Road between Custer and Milton Roads - Snow Buntings (10+) and Lapland Longspurs (25+)

Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area, Harpster, OH - Eastern Meadowlark (1) TWP 115 - S.E. Owl (8) Wyandot-Marion Road - Tundra Swan (26) Pond 27 along Wyandot-Marion Road

01/04/10

Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area, Harpster, OH - Long-eared Owl (1) Cedar
tree next to road near entrance to Owl Grove Parking Lot...along TWP 71
- Barred Owl (1) - Owl Grove Pines off of TWP 71

Hoover Reservoir, Columbus, OH - Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1M & 1F), Yellow-rumped Warbler (1), Brown Creeper (2)...river area just below the Hoover Dam

Greenlawn Cemetery, Columbus, OH - Sharp-shinned Hawk (1F - Adult) & Pine Warbler (1) & Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (1M) at The Pit - Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (1M) The Bridge

Greenlawn Avenue Dam, Columbus, OH - Great Blue Heron (3) just below the dam

01/05/10

These birds are all from yesterday when I finally got back to Ohio University in Athens.

Strouds Run State Park - Hermit Thrush (1) & Winter Wren (1)

The Ridges, Ohio University - Field Sparrow (14)

Grosvenor Street, Athens, OH - Black Vulture (6)

I've been fortunate enough to find Hermit Thrush and Winter Wren in the same very small area at Strouds Run for the past three years...all around the first few days of January. The same spot at The Ridges, above Athens, has also produced a flock of 10-25 wintering Field Sparrows, in the exact same location for the past three years...again...same time of year. The large flock of Turkey and Black Vultures that had been spending almost all of 2009 on the roof of the Convocation Center at Ohio University has finally decided to move to one of their winter roosts which is on the hillside above Grosvenor Street just above downtown Athens. I have seen from 6-25+ Black Vultures and 60-70+ Turkey Vultures at this roost in the past.

Well...that puts me at 97 species after 5 fine days of Ohio January birding! If anyone would like explicit directions or details to any of the birds or locations, please e-mail me privately...if you would like to look for any of them and I will do my best to accommodate you.

Good luck with your January 100 and 2010 birding year! I'll post any goodies and updates if I find anything of note.

Good Birding,

Jason

P.S. I just checked the Bobolink Rare Bird Alert and Robert Hershberger is still reporting the Purple Martin near Maysville. The update was from January 4th, but this may have been Robert updating from my report to him on January 1st, so I cannot be sure if the bird is still alive and well. The number for The Bobolink Rare Bird Alert is: 330-763-5119.

Jason S. Larson

Graduate Student

Ohio University

Department of Environmental and Plant Biology

315 Porter Hall

Athens, Oh  45701

740-593-1126