OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 2010 17:17:51 -0800
Greetings!

Update...Port Clinton, Ohio...

Our group ended the day today with 54 species total. We spent the majority of the day in Amish Country...namely Holmes, Wayne, Tuscarawas and Stark counties.

The highlights of the day included: White-winged Dove, Purple Martin, Chipping Sparrow, Snow Goose, Tundra Swan and Wilson's Snipe.

The White-winged Dove was seen at Dick Beery's home this morning at approximately 10:00 a.m. We watched the bird for about 1/2 hour at close range under the feeders and in the trees near the back deck. It was very cooperative and was not associating with any Mourning Doves today. Again, the address is: 8751 Twp. Road 513, Shreve, OH. Again, please park at the end of the drive, by the green building and
 walk to the
 house...unless you are physically
 unable to do so. This was a new Ohio record for three of our group. A great way to start the new year! There was also a Chipping Sparrow at this spot spending most of its time under the feeders.

The Purple Martin is located at: 11872 Cunningham Road, Applecreek, OH. This is an Apple Creek address, but it is actually closer to Mt. Hope. Cunningham Road is just off of Mt. Hope Road/Twp. 77 between Maysville and Mt. Hope. If you plug the address into a GPS, it will take you right to the spot. Pull into the drive and the purple martin houses are right in front of you. This is an adult female and she has been present since the spring/summer. The bird fledged a late youngster, which left in early November and she stayed behind. If you want to add this bird to your January list...I would not wait long. Who knows how long she will last as the weather gets colder and colder! She was added to the Wilmot CBC on December 18th as one of the or possibly the
 first documented Ohio CBC purple martins!

The Snow Goose and Tundra Swans were along Prairie Lane Road which is SW of Wooster, Ohio.

The Wilson's Snipes are located in Holmes County at the corner of Township Highway 362 and TWP 207 just north of Berlin. This is a perennial spot for these birds and we find them here almost every January.

We'll try to keep everyone posted on tomorrow's finds if we have access to the Internet. If we find something really good, we'll call it in to someone!

Good Birding,

Jason

Jason S. Larson

Graduate Student

Ohio University

Department of Environmental and Plant Biology

315 Porter Hall

Athens, Oh  45701

740-593-1126