OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 14:43:26 -0500
This morning I had the opening volunteer shift at Highbanks Metro Park. When I arrived the landscape had a fresh coat of powdery snow and empty feeders. The birds were eager and practically landed as I was filling the feeders. Once the feeders were filled and I had spread seed on the ground for the species that prefer to feed there I went inside the Nature Center and watch the show begin. With much of their natural food sources buried under the snow cover the feeders were almost immediately overrun with hungry birds.

Blue Jays aren't normally a sociable species and generally no more than 2 or 3 can be seen sharing the platform feeder. This morning as many as 8 were there at once and they seemed intent on peaceful coexistence. Pileated Woodpeckers are an uncommon visitor to the feeders but today they were there to get their share of the bounty. At one point there were Red-bellied, Downy, Hairy and Pileated Woodpeckers at the suet feeder together. The seed spread on the ground was quickly discovered by Dark-eyed Juncos; White-throated, Song and American Tree Sparrows; Northern Cardinals (over 20 at their peak); and a Common Grackle that had a "what am I doing here?" look. Just to liven things up somewhat a Red-tailed Hawk made a brief appearance before heading into the forest. In all I observed 19 species at the feeders and a flyover between opening at 10:00 am and noon. Although many of the species are common, they all looked extra sharp with the fresh snow as a backdrop.

Just before I got ready to leave a Carolina Chickadee clung to an ice cycle hanging from the building's eaves to enjoy water dripping from it and a Tufted Titmouse landed on the window sill as if to thank me for the morning meal. Next time I'll have to get out on the trial to look for additional residents of the park such as the Great Horned and Barred Owls. By now the great Horned Owls should be nesting and working on the new year's first offspring.

Charlie Bombaci

Species at the Nature Center Window:
Canada Geese - fly over in classic vee formation of approximately 40
Red-tailed Hawk
Morning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker