OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2010

From:
"McCormac, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McCormac, Jim
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 2010 09:42:45 -0500
Hi all,

I just had an interesting chat with a gentleman who lives in
southernmost Monroe County. He reports seeing - and hearing - a pair of
Common Ravens regularly since early December and up to the present.
Based on his description of the birds' appearance and their
vocalizations, I have no doubt that these are ravens. He is quite
familiar with the species from time spent in areas where ravens are
common. There have been at least three other raven reports in Washington
County in the past five years, too.

Ground zero for these sightings is in northern Washington County, about
2.5 miles west of New Matamoras and the Ohio River, near the junction of
State Rte. 260 and County Rd. 9. Much of the land in this area is part
of the Wayne National Forest. If anyone is in that neck of the woods,
and can check for these birds, that would be great, as would photos if
they are found. Please let us know if you have any luck.

Jim McCormac

Jim McCormac

Ohio Division of Wildlife

2045 Morse Rd., G-2