OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2010

From:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:20:21 -0500
This morning one of my wife's fellow horse enthusiasts called to tell me
that she had a Barn Owl in one of the barns she manages .  I went over to
confirm it and to get some pictures.  The pictures can be found at the
following site:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rdp1710/KateSBarnOwl?feat=directlink

The bird has been pretty faithful to this site for the last three days.  The
roost site is in the rafters above the eastern entrance to the barn arena,
the door to which is always open.  The arena is enormous and usually has
four horses turned out in it.  The barn is not currently being used for
training..  The owl was aware of all our activity (mine, Kate's, and the
horses) but seemed confident that we were not going to be able to seriously
challenge it for its perch.

We do not presently know the owners' attitude toward visitors, but suspect
that liability issues (horses, dogs, long unplowed drive, proximity of
working farm machinery, etc) will preclude access to the public.  I will
advise if this situation changes

Cheers,

Bob

--