OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2010

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:36:18 -0800
Mo Bacik and I visited E 72nd St, Eastlake & Avon Lake Power Plants, this morning.  E 72nd was most productive of the three, as expected, though the total number of gulls here probably didn't exceed 500.  Among these were 2nd cycle and ad Glaucous, and a 2nd-cycle Thayer's.  The Thayer's was most obliging, and was not the same bird present here last weekend.  Also unique was adult an Herring exhibiting completely unique iris colors - it's left eye was completely dark and right eye, lemon yellow.  At Eastlake, the sliver of open water is quite extensive, and we followed it to its end east of the Chagrin River, scanning from deadends within neighborhoods and such.  Alas, very few gulls here, though a good number of waterfowl, the most prevalent being Common Mergansers.  At Avon, the situation was similar - lots of waterfowl, especially Common Mergs - and few gulls, one Lesser Black-backed included.  In Lorain - a couple open patches along the
 Black River were occupied by a couple hundred gulls.

A study of the second-cycle Thayer's is posted here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28939750@N05/    If the link doesn't work, replace the word 'at' within the URL with the at 'symbol.'

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland