OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2010

From:
Barb Hohman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb Hohman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 2010 19:33:06 -0500
This afternoon on our way home to Marietta from Noble County, my husband Neal and I decided to take the scenic route and see if we could find the Ravens reported on Rt. 260 near New Matamoras.  We neither saw nor heard them.

We did see a juvenile Bald Eagle below New Matamoras, and two female Goldeneye at Newell's Run backwater.

As we came south on OH Rt. 7, just below Willow Island Dam, I saw a bird flying southbound close to the side of the road about eye level.  It had the shape and color of a Yellowlegs.  I did note the long yellow legs sticking out behind the tail.  I'm not sure if the tail was white, but the rest of the bird, color, wing shape and size are all right for the shorebird.  I was not thinking shorebird at this time of year, or I would have paid more attention to the tail color.  It seems early to me. but I thought it should be noted.

Barb Hohman
Devola, near Marietta
Washington County