OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2010

From:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 2010 21:55:42 -0500
We birded Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area in Wyandot County today. Some
highlights included:
Horned Larks (many along most of the roads)
Lapland Longspurs (on Washburn Rd.)
Eastern Meadowlarks (near the headquarters)
Northern Mockingbird
American Tree Sparrows (many foraging on the roadsides throughout the area)
Canada Geese (700+ on Pond 27)
American Black Duck
Mallards
Northern Pintail (a couple mixed in with the Mallards and Black Ducks on
Pond 27)
American Robin
American Kestrels
Red-tailed Hawk
Rough-legged Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Bald Eagles (8)
Long-eared Owl (in Cedar near the Owl Woods)

In the late afternoon we moved on to Big Island Wildlife Area in Marion County
Short-eared Owls put on quite a show. At 4:00 pm there were 5 on
LaRue-Prospect Road (Unit B) and another hunting near Herr Rd.
We also saw
Northern Harriers (5)
Coopers Hawk
American Kestrel
Eastern Meadowlark

All in all it was a great day of winter birding!

Ken and Helen Ostermiller
Westfield Center, Ohio
Red-tailed Hawk