OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2010

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:42:42 -0500
I got a glimpse of Spring in a visit to this NW Columbus suburb this morning.  No, the snow was still omnipresent and deep.  The birds, however, are feeling the lengthening days, reflected in singing & fighting residents and the first few migrants.  Notables included:

Waterfowl - O'Shaughnessy reservoir is frozen still, but the Scioto River from the dam down to Kiwanis is getting crowded.  Kiwanis was best, with 150+ Mallrds, 10 Black Ducks, 3 Wigeon, and 15 Common Goldeneye, along with the expected flotilla of geese.

Raptors - Red-tails in many locations, often paired.  I also had Kestrels in 2 locations, reflecting Steve's observations further northwest of here.  I could not find the Barred Owl at Glacier Ridge, however.

Shorebird,Gulls - an early Kildeer was running down a plowed road at Darree Fields park, while flyover Ring-billed Gulls were at many locations.  Small groups were especially conspicuous flying up the Scioto River.

Blue Jays - small gangs of them everywhere, even in small urban parks.  They're itching to move north, too.

E.Bluebirds - had pairs singing around nest boxes at several locations; at Trabue Preserve, they were jousting with House Sparrows over a house.

Horned Larks - lots, both on the roads and as flyovers.  I'd bet a vigil up at Maumee Bay would probably find lots passing north.