OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2010

From:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 2010 21:46:33 -0800
----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Laura Dornan <tldornan68@a

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, February 23, 2010 12:27:29 AM
Subject: Merlin in Stark County

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, February 22, 2010 4:56:01 PM

We have just returned form viewing a Merlin sitting in a dead tree along Brunnerdale Ave. in Canton.  The bird was 1st spotted by Angela & Robert Foster during the 1st week of Feb.  They saw it a few times before telling Alan Dolan, Pres. of Canton Audubon Soc.  Alan told us but we have only just today been able to to look for it.  We wondered if it was really a Merlin, since they are so rare in Ohio in winter but Angela had been pretty sure that is what is.  And when we got a look through our scope, we were sure too.  The bird had his tail splayed wide most of the time we were viewing it, so we were able to see that it was definitely a black & white banded tail, not the reddish-brown tail of a Kestrel.  And it had 1 'mustache', not 2 like a Kestrel and buffish undertail coverts.  It was facing us the whole time so we could not readily tell what color the back is but we took several pictures and it appears the back is grey so we are calling it a
 male.

He is very faithful to a dead tree located along Brunnerdale Ave, behind Barbato Flowers & Greenhouse.  MapQuest Barbato's at 6017 12th St.,NW, Canton, Oh, 44708.  The arrow will show up on the south side of 12th St. but it is actually on the north side of 12th.  Behind Barbato's is a field and the tree sits at the north end of the field, very close to the road.  Lee & Alan Dolan have also seen him in some trees about 1/4 mile west of Brunnerdale, near a water tower, so if you don't find him right away, search the area.  Note that Brunnerdale starts & stops so this intersection must be approached from 12th St.

Thanks go out to Angela & Robert for finding this rare bird & for letting us know about it.

Sorry about the late posting.  I have had trouble today getting the list-serv to accept this post.  Hopefully it is now straightened out.

Laura Dornan
Louisville, in Stark Cty.