OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2010

From:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 21:27:45 -0500
Hi all,
   There is a new option for registration on the Columbus Audubon website:
register for the Saturday evening dinner and keynote speaker for $30. That's
dinner (pasta bar) and our featured talk by Dr. Azzam Alwash of Nature Iraq:
The Marshes of Mesopotamia... Past, Present, and Future.
   If you have a friend or spouse who might enjoy joining us on Saturday
evening, dinner starts at about 6 pm  and we should be finished by 9pm.
We'll make it an early night, because we're going birding Sunday morning at
area waterways ('frozen' waterways in some cases).
   Some last minute weather-related adjustments to the Sunday field trip
sites will be announced on Saturday during the event. All Sunday morning
field trips are self-drive or carpool. Directions will be provided in
attendee packets. Thanks in advance to all our volunteer field trip leaders!
   Of course, you can also join us early Saturday morning (~8am) on the
grounds of GIAC for a casual walk with Jim McCormac. But many folks might
grab a few extra minutes of shut-eye after the Friday night shin-dig,
hootenanny, dance-a-thon with The Swinging Orangutangs featuring Bill
Thompson III, his lovely wife Julie Zickefoose, and many musical friends.
   Yes, there is also a rumor that Chet Baker will be in the building under
the watchful eyes of bodyguards. For those of you who don't know who Chet
is, we can assure you he will not be sitting in on jazz trumpet. Maybe
sitting 'on' a jazz trumpet....
   Recap: the Friday night musical fundraiser, benefiting Nature Iraq, is
from ~ 6pm to 10 pm. There will be appetizers, a taste of the Middle East,
and beverages provided by Mendocino Brewing Company. $10 at the door.
   Speaking of 'at the door":  we ordered a few extra meals in case one or
two folks (i.e. walk-ins) register in-person on Saturday morning. So, you
can pay $80 at the door on Saturday morning. Lectures start at 9 am.
   Or, if you don't want to eat any meals, and only wish to listen to our
seven waterfowl speakers on Saturday, you can join us for $40. Strict diet!
    The Waterfowl Symposium, presented by the Ohio Ornithological Society
and Columbus Audubon, with support from The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium and
Mendocino Brewing Company, is at the Grange Insurance Audubon Center.
   If you can't join us this weekend, please visit GIAC another time. It's a
spectacular building with abundant resources to further birding in Central
Ohio. Special thanks to the GIAC staff for their assistance.

In Appreciation,
Ann Oliver
Cincinnati
Waterfowl Planning Committee
Editor, The Cerulean Newsletter (quarterly publication of OOS)