OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2010

From:
Lee Underschultz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Underschultz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:10:37 -0500
Firefly Hollow
Athens/Washington counties- 45 acres in Athens Co. and 50 acres in
Washington Co.

This winter has brought some new visitors to our feeders. We live in the
woods with a small meadow well beyond the trees and in sight of the feeders.
There is a large pond next door with groomed grassy areas and large pine
trees around it. But again, it is through the woods. With all of the snow
this winter we have had a Mockingbird show up. I have never seen a
Mockingbird on our property before. It has been a daily visitor at the
feeder for about the last week.

About 10 days ago a female red-winged blackbird made a short appearance at
the feeder. Yesterday, a male showed up briefly. Today, a flock of males
have been visiting the feeders (actually the ground below them)
sporadically.

Yesterday, two poor robins were looking for food. Along with the robins were
a couple of Starlings. These are very rare visitors here in the woods but
both they and some grackles have been visiting the feeders during the worst
weather this winter.

I still have not seen a single Towhee this winter. This is extremely unusual
and causes me some concern. Our woods are usually filled with towhees and
they often visit the feeders during the winter.

A fox sparrow and some tree sparrows are now coming in and today I saw a
field sparrow checking things out. The field sparrow is a newcomer too.

We lost at least one white-throated sparrow to a young sharp shinned hawk
last week. I happened to glance out to see the hawk using our cedar swing as
a plucking post. Again, this is a first for our yard. Usually we have
juvenile Cooper's Hawks honing their hunting skills in the yard and the
hollow.

We've also had a Brown Creeper on the tree outside the living room window
for a few days this past week. I'm sure it's a regular if you happen to look
out the window at the right moment. It seems to favor one knot in the tree
in particular.

Lastly and not unusual for most people are the Hairy woodpeckers who have
discovered the suet cakes this year. It's nice to see both the Hairy and the
Downy on the suet feeder (opposite sides) at the same time. It sure does
help to drive home the difference between the two.

We usually have 12 different species/ day at the feeders/yard. Yesterday's
storm brought 20 species to the yard. Including one lone junco. I sure don't
know where they have been this winter but it has not been here.

Yesterday's list:
Carolina Wren-1
Carolina Chickadee-4
Mourning Dove-15
Downy Woodpecker-2
White Breasted Nuthatch-2
Tufted Titmouse-2
Northern Cardinal-15
American Goldfinch-26
Hairy Woodpecker-2
House Finch-2
Song Sparrow-2
Red-bellied Woodpecker-1
White Throated Sparrow-3
Tree Sparrow-2
American Robin-2
European Starling-4
Northern Mockingbird-1
Red-winged Blackbird-1
Dark Eyed Junco-1
Northern Flicker-1

And just for reference, I feed black oil sunflower seed and commercial suet
cakes. I have peanuts in the shell in a spring wreath but only a couple of
wrens and a downy woodpecker have picked at them. No real interest in them.

Lee Underschultz
Firefly Hollow- Athens/Washington counties
Little Hocking, OH
www.fhsigns.com