OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2010

From:
"Steve J." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve J.
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 2010 22:31:18 -0500
Well since there was a bunch of views to the OOS web page, but no
guesses...except for Al La Sala who emailed me his answers. I am going
to assume that I stumped at least a few of you. :)  I know that a lot of
birders visit the metro parks and was hoping for a few more responses,
especially from Owl lovers since three out of the four are known for
resident owls...everyone must be out birding, I guess. :-D

Al guessed:

1. Glacier Ridge
2. Blendon Woods
3. Highbanks
4. none

He was 2 for 4 which is pretty decent.  I figured the second picture
would stump most people since creeks are in pretty much every metro
park.  And Al was close, by about 8 miles or less.

So without any further delay, here are the answers:

Number 1.  The rusted out truck is found on the North end of Glacier
Ridge.  If you take the path that goes around the prairie and through
the woods, just as soon as you get to the bend in the path that goes by
the vernal pool, look at the edge of the woods on your right and there
it will be. During the rest of the year, it is probably covered by
brush, so in the winter it pops out.  Now, I don't know why it hasn't
been removed. But it actually looks great and probably makes a nice
hiding spot for furry critters.

Most people go to the south side of Glacier Ridge for ducks and other
water birds like sandpipers.  But the North side is a whole other
environment and should be checked out as well.  There is prairie, woods,
and vernal pools that attract other types of birds.

Number 2.  Easy, Blendon Woods has a dog walk, a Frisbee golf course,
and right now offer sledding and ice skating when the ponds open....I
should have made it harder but I wanted to throw in a easy one.  :D
Plus tons of birds.

Number 3.  The stream, was not Highbanks, it was Inniswoods or Inniswood
Gardens. I was "turned on" to this metro park during the Christmas Bird
Count.  Lots of woodpeckers, both types of Chickadees were there and
owls are SUPPOSED to be there, but I always pick the wrong time to
come.  The feeders are close to the house and makes an excellent place
to take pictures...from inside the nice warm house through the big
picture windows, as well as outside the house, but I was cold!  Of
course I was also there when there wasn't a wedding, or program so
availability of that area is probably limited to certain parts of the
day. :)

Several pictures that I took on this trip were taken there.

The fourth, the only non metro park place. It was Greenlawn Cemetery; a
place I wouldn't be caught dead in.  The big tuning fork mentioned, is
the antenna for Channel 10 TV.  The smoked meat place was Thurn's
Specialty Meats.  They are only open Thursday through Saturday.  I have
heard from other birders that they have suet fat there as well.  Check
the place out it is cool... and smoky! The meat is delicious. They only
accept cash and checks, no credit cards. $20 gets a lot of meat...and
the bacon is EXCELLENT!

That's it.  Congrats to Al la Sala, he's the winner!

I posted a couple of the bird pics that I got on this trip at the
writeup on the OOS forum page:
http://www.ohiobirds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1319

I encourage you that while you are out looking for birds, don't forget
to take it all in.  There are some pretty neat and scenic stuff out
there. :)

Later,

Steve
(aka sjlarue)