OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2010

From:
Clyde Witt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Clyde Witt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 19:50:22 -0500
Doing a bit of off-local-patch-birding today, Susan Jones and I headed down
to Funk Bottoms/Killbuck area. The draw of Amish restaurants may have
influenced our decision. It was a slow day for that area, with the biggest
disappointment of the day finding the Funk Country Store, closed. Fourteen
years of memories …
Two highlights were a Northern Mockingbird along Route 95 just outside Funk,
and the largest flock of Wild Turkeys either of us has ever seen. Just south
of the Wildlife Area Management office on Holmes Co. Rd 1, we counted 125
birds, and probably missed some. We stood on the hill above, watching them
graze like a herd of miniature bison.

American Kestrel   4
Horned Lark	12
Red-tailed Hawk		too numerous, mostly in pairs
Red-shouldered Hawk	1
Canada Goose 	51
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Rock Pigeon	28