OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2010

From:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 2010 16:00:15 -0500
I wonder if anyone on the list has seen the barred owl that nests at the
North Chagrin Reservation.  I've tried a few times to find this birds in the
location recommended by the nature center staff, but have never had any
luck.  Anyone have any pointers?

I've been told to look in the vicinity of the large boulder emblazoned with
the plaque dedicated to A.B. Williams.  That immediate area hosts a mix of
deciduous and evergreen trees, and I've spent hours looking in every place I
can imagine the owl roosting during the day, but I wonder if I'm just not
looking in the right place.  Would a barred owl favor a hemlock over a
maple?  A low perch over a high one?  A certain time of day?  Any tips would
be most appreciated!

Gratefully,
Noah