OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2010

From:
Rae Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rae Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:44:40 -0800
Elayna,

Just returned from the Munising area last week!  We saw two Bald Eagles.  Most of the inland waters are frozen over now, but keep your eyes open as you drive M28 along Lake Superior.  According to a local mag, the "UP Life & Times", the flat, open areas south of Sault St. Marie are good for Snowy, Northern Hawk, Short-eared and Great Gray owls.  Mackinac Island horses spend the winter there, which means grain, hay, rodents and raptors.  They also suggest the southern end of Chippewa County (Pickford) and eastward on the St. Mary's River for Rough-legged hawks, Peregrine & Gyrfalcons.  I would try to find this issue (Jan-Feb) when you get there as it gives a lot of information.

Check local feeders too for Grosbeaks, BC Chickadees, all the usual winter suspects, and  the infamous black squirrels.  Ravens are faily common in the area.  We were also lucky enough to spot a wolf on the way to Marquette one sunny day.

Good luck, have fun and send me your list!

Rae Johnson
Newark, OH