OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2010

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:50:07 -0500
Sandy Tkach and I conducted the monthly census on Kelleys Island today.
Although it was beautiful with the light snow (12+ inches on the ground),
overcast to partly cloudy, and upper 20's; it was very slow with birds. This
was the third lowest species count in 13 years.  Only January 2003 with 28
species and February 2003 with 29 species were lower.  We only recorded 32
species and 874 individuals. This was only the second count ever to have
fewer than 1000 individuals.  September 1998 recorded only 862 individuals.
The normal February count has 39 species and 4822 individuals.  The island
was mostly iced in so finding ducks and gulls was tough.  Just yesterday
there was lots of open water to the south and east but not today.  The only
unusual species was a pair of Eastern Bluebirds record for only the second
February count in 13 years.  More noteworthy was what we didn't see.  Nine
species which are normally observed in February were missing.  Those were
Canada Goose, Mallard, Red-breasted Merganser, Red-tailed Hawk, Ring-billed
Gull, Blue Jay, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Song Sparrow, and Red-winged
Blackbird.

Greater Scaup - 12
Bufflehead - 1
Common Goldeneye - 153
Common Merganser -117
Wild Turkey -*
Bald Eagle - 10(6 ad, 2 imm, 2 ?)
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1
Herring Gull - 95
Great Black-backed Gull -4
Mourning Dove -*
Eastern Screech-Owl 1
Great Horned Owl -1
Red-bellied Woodpecker -2
Downy Woodpecker - 31
Northern Flicker -4
American Crow -34
Horned Lark -4
Black-capped Chickadee -48
White-breasted Nuthatch -5
Brown Creeper -5
Carolina Wren -8
Eastern Bluebird -2
Hermit Thrush -5
American Robin -96
European Starling -40
Cedar Waxwing -2
Yellow-rumped Warbler -11
American Tree Sparrow -9
White-throated Sparrow -2
Dark-eyed Junco -4
Northern Cardinal -66
House Finch -32
American Goldfinch - 13
House Sparrow -56

32 species
874 individuals
* = species observed on the island today but not on the census route

--
H. Thomas Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio