OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2010

From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 2010 19:52:04 -0500
This morning I saw 2 great blue herons in the creek between Summerview
Apts. and The Gardens at Polaris.  One of them was near where the creek
goes under Lazelle Road, the other was up closer to Lowes on Polaris.  I
also saw two northern mockingbirds along the same creek. A pair of red-
tailed hawks (probably the ones that nest at Lazelle Woods Park) were
flying in circles around one and other.  Nine ring-billed gulls flew SSW
over the apartment complex.  Early in the afternoon I saw 3 more ring-
billed gulls flying south across Lazelle Woods Park.

All of the species mentioned are fairly common in Columbus so I was
somewhat surprised to find that they were the first (and so far the only)
of their kind to be reported in Columbus in this year's GBBC.  This makes
me wonder how many other people in Columbus are participating.  Is anyone
counting at Lower Scioto Park/Scioto Audubon or Griggs Reservoir?  There
are still two days left.

My complete list from Lazelle Woods is as follows:

Canada Goose - 2
Mallard - 4
Ring-billed Gull - 3
Mourning Dove - 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 3
Downy Woodpecker - 1
Blue Jay - 17
Carolina Chickadee - 1
White-breasted Nuthatch - 2
American Robin - 6
European Starling - 8
Song Sparrow - 1
White-throated Sparrow - 1
Dark-eyed Junco - 1
Northern Cardinal - 2
American Goldfinch - 3
House Sparrow - 62

Here is my list from my apartment complex behind Polaris Town Center:

Canada Goose - 4
Mallard - 8
Great Blue Heron - 2
Cooper's Hawk - 1