OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:24:59 -0800
I went to Villa Angela/Wildwood of the Cleveland Lakefront State Parks Friday late and today two times.  I have been missing the good birds during the last few weeks seen by others during the day.  There was a Great Horned Owl seen by two people from the mobile home park in the trees near the fence line of Villa Angela on 3/5 in the daytime before it was chased away by many Crows heading west.  Mark Anderson had the same type of owl in the woods of Villa Angela in late January.  Mark had some Ring-necked Ducks and Hooded Mergansers Thursday on Euclid Creek also seen by Jeanne Hrenko in the nice weather.  Mark had an immature Black-crowned Night Heron in the pine trees in Villa Angela 3/10 and an adult seen 3/11 on the west side of Euclid Creek just north of the bridge also seen by Jeanne Hrenko.  But the herons haven't been seen Fri or today.  Here is what I was able to see at Villa/Angela/Wildwood with Mark and Jeanne with me on my earlier visits only:

Northern Pintail 1 m  3/12 & 3/13 swimming around Euclid Creek near the bridge (maybe same one seen off and on since Dec)
Hooded Mergansers 5 (4m,1f)today where Euclid Creek meets the lake, Mark had nine earlier this morning and they also were seen 3/11 by Mark & Jeanne

American Black Ducks 4 (both days)
Great Blue Herons 2 flying east over lake 3/12
Brown-headed Cowbirds 2 (front lawn of library next door today from my car)
many Song Sparrows, Titmouse, Red-winged Blackbirds, European Starlings & Common Grackles
American Tree Sparrows 2 today in Villa Angela near lake

Euclid Beach - 1 Killdeer

Sims Park - Euclid from 12:30 to 12:45 and then 2:45 to 3:15pm today with Mark Anderson during the first visit.  Still some ice in places.

Red-breasted Mergansers - many too far out to see well the first time I went - most large numbers gone later with few dozen left
Common Goldeneye - 33
Bufflehead 1
Common Mergansers 6
Carolina Wrens 2 (near driveway - always seen or heard lately)

Euclid Park (Lakefront Community Center north of Babbitt)
Common Goldeneye 10

My Backyard - today 17 Red-winged Blackbirds under my feeder

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
Cuyahoga County
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/