OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:56:00 -0400
Another note on this:
10+ years back, the GH Owls nested in this tree. I don't know for what
period of time. About 5 or 6 years ago, when I was living in Columbus, I
remember an unusual incident. While the owl was on the nest (I think the
young had recently been hatched). There was a Canada Goose sitting on
the limb stretching out from the cavity. It exhibited an aggressive
attitude whenever I approached very close. For all intents, it seemed to
be guarding the nest. I think that was the last year for a while that
the owl nested there. For about 3 years, I did not see them. They were
reported to be nesting elsewhere, but I never did find them.  2 years
ago, my last spring in Columbus, they were in that cavity again and 2
young fledged and remained in nearby trees for a day (one for 2 days).
Why did the owls nest elsewhere for awhile?? I can think of 2 possible
reasons. Perhaps they just wanted to change for awhile. However, GH Owls
often nest in the same tree for many years if not disturbed. Also, it
could have been because they were greatly disturbed by the number of
people who came up close!  When I was there, I could actually get a
better look (with binoculars) into the cavity from the nearby road (from
the pit) than by getting up close. There was no need to go up close.
Anytime I did approach from the road, the owl ducked down into the nest,
if it had been visible (this was before the young had been hatched - or
at least not grown much. Others had reported the young sitting on the
edge of the nest soon after they hatched. Good pictures could have been
obtained from some distance away with telescopic lens. Given what Linda
said, I am somewhat surprised that the owl is still there. If people
want it to continue to nest there, I suspect they will have to respect
its privacy. The cavity seems lilke an idea spot for the owls, except
for its location (:-).

Rich

Richard Cressman
East Boston, MA