OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 23:19:00 -0400
Yesterday (Sunday 3-13-10) we made multiple stops in Summit County; most of
which consisted of "car birding" as the weather was rainy.

Cascade Valley MetroPark - Schumacher Trail (accessed from the Northampton
Road Parking Lot):
We walked only as far as the first bridge.

The highlight there was a female Cooper's Hawk gathering nest material from
very close to the nest and returning to the nearly completed nest. It was
interesting to see her as she pecked and tugged at things.

 Chestnut Cemetery on Sackett Avenue in Cuyahoga Falls:
Sunday there were mallards and black ducks.
We stopped briefly today, and they had been joined by wood ducks and one
male redhead.

Summit Lake:
Pied billed Grebe
Mallard
American Black Ducks
Hooded Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Common Goldeneye - 1
Canvasback
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Bufflehead
So many American Coots it seemed the 'coot convention' was in town

Nesmith Lake:
Devoid of Waterfowl. Does anyone ever see any there?

Long Lake:
Mallard
Hooded Merganser
Bufflehead
Ring-necked duck
Mute Swan - 7 of them - Yikes!

Nimisila Lake: (many birds too far out to id with bins)
Mute Swan
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Ring-necked duck
Scaup sp.
Gadwall
Northern Pintail
American Black Duck
Wood Duck
American Widgeon
Bufflehead
3 Bald Eagles: 2 adults 1 second year

On the way home, there were 31 turkeys on Northampton Road in Cuyahoga
Falls. This was just north of Portage Trail.

Renee