OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
"Daniel, Donna" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel, Donna
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 12:08:07 -0500
Hello!

With bald eagle nesting season underway, it's an exciting time of year
as new nests are discovered and reported.  The Ohio Division of
Wildlife, in monitoring bald eagle populations in the state, does record
every nest that we become aware of.  In many cases volunteers will
monitor the nest to provide information on egg laying and hatching dates
and number of young produced so that we may track production of the
nests, in addition to the number of nests in the state.

By far, most bald eagle nests in Ohio are located on private property.
Landowners (and neighbors to nests) have varying views on eagles using
their property.  Some are ecstatic, some are indifferent and believe it
or not, some would prefer not to have a nest on their land, especially
when it means interested onlookers may trespass on their property in an
attempt to see a nest.  The Division of Wildlife attempts to work with
each landowner individually to make sure the nest has as little negative
impact to the property owner as possible.

The Division of Wildlife recognizes that bald eagles do attract a lot of
attention from the casual observer to the veteran birdwatcher.  In
addition, we feel it is extremely important to promote the success of
bald eagles in Ohio to increase awareness and appreciation for the
species and to help educate the public.  For that reason, we will
readily publicize nest locations that are easily viewed by the public.
Most of the publicized nests are located on public land, a few are on
private land and we have permission from the landowner to advertise the
location.  If a landowner does not want visitors on their property to
view the nest we definitely do not publicize the nest in an attempt to
curtail curiosities and lessen the potential for conflicts.

Regarding the nest at Highbanks Metro Park in Delaware Co.  The nest is
viewable from the Overlook Deck
(http://metroparks.net/MapHighbanks.aspx).  Note that the Olentangy
Environmental Control Center is NOT ALLOWING viewing from their property
without prior authorization from the Ohio Division of Wildlife.  Please
do not visit the OECC property for the purpose of looking at the nest.
You will be asked to leave.  No Trespassing signs are posted and will be
enforced.

To check if a bald eagle nest is viewable for the public, please check
with your regional Wildlife District Office.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/ContactUsStandIn/tabid/18270/Default.asp

It is better to be more cautious then to attract a lot of attention and
binocular traffic to an area that results in landowners having ill
feelings about birders.  Thank you for your cooperation.

Donna M. Daniel

Assistant Wildlife Management Supervisor

ODNR, Division of Wildlife, District One

1500 Dublin Rd.

Columbus, OH  43215

614/644-3925

614/644-3931 FAX