OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
Tom Rooney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Rooney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:17:23 -0400
Killdeer Plains was the place to be today.  Our group of 4 got started late
(about 10 am) but we still managed to rack up 47 species.

Canada goose
Ring-neck duck (lots)
Red wing blackbird
Northern cardinal
Song sparrow (lots, singing)
Common starling
American wigeon
American crow
Killdeer
American robin
Eastern meadowlark
Red-tailed hawk
Common grackle
Mallard
Northern pintail
Common goldeneye
Blue winged teal
Northern shoveler
Bald Eagle (several)
American coot (just one)
Wood duck
Trumpeter swan (confirmed by call)
American black duck
Northern harrier
Turkey vulture
Bufflehead
Greater yellowlegs (south side of CH-68 in flooded field across from parking
lot)
Pectoral sandpiper (about 70, south side of CH-68 in flooded field across
from parking lot)
Tundra swan
Lesser scaup
Mute swan
Gadwall
Hooded merganser
Redhead
American kestrel
Red-headed woodpecker (several, west side of TH-123 in woods north of the
impoundment.  Walk in along the dike).
Northern flicker
Tufted titmouse
Hairy woodpecker
Downy woodpecker
Red-bellied woodpecker
Cedar waxwing
American tree sparrow
Blue jay
Rufus-sided towhee
Dark-eyed Junco

This brings my 2010 total to 73 birds.  I hope I wasn't supposed to have 100
species by January 31st or something...

Tom Rooney
Wright State University