OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
"Coy, Patrick G." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Coy, Patrick G.
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:21:13 -0400
Since early December there has been a male American Kestrel at Barlow Farm Park (a Hudson City Park) on Truxell Road in extreme eastern Summit County. I've been keeping my eye on him multiple days a week during my commutes to Kent. About two weeks I was pleased to note that he had attracted a female.

They can often be found in one of two places:
--on the highest electrical wire on the south side of the road, usually directly opposite the barn
--in the row of river birches parallel to the road, closest to and directly east of the barn

I watched them breed this morning in the river birches closest to and directly east of the barn.

I suspect and hope they will be nesting at Barlow Farm Park. We haven't had many roadside nesting Kestrels in Summit County of late. Unfortunately, there are very few trees large enough near where this pair has been hanging out to host a cavity for them. However, in the late 1980s a pair of American Kestrels nested in the church bell tower in my inner-city neighborhood in north St. Louis for many consecutive years. There weren't many tree cavities there, either. That pair feasted on English House Sparrows. I suspect the Barlow Farm pair may be taking up residence in the cupola on top of the barn as the cupola has openings in it, or perhaps in some other part of the barn where there is an opening and semi-enclosed nesting space.

Patrick Coy
Peninsula, OH