OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:19:12 -0400
Today Linda and I took advantage of free schedules and beautiful weather to get out and go birding. We began at Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area where we located a nice diversity of waterfowl and grassland birds. The best find was a flock of approximately 40 Lapland Longspurs that were hanging around a flooded farm field on Morral-Kirkpatrick Road. They were in various stages of change into their breeding plumage.

From there we headed south to the Delaware Wildlife Area to see if we could find the Long-tailed Duck initially discovered Thursday. We did not  find it. I also noted the significant drop in the number of waterfowl present. Thursday there were an estimated 1,000 waterfowl. Today the numbers were down substantially, but at least there was some variety to keep things interesting
The species observed  were:

Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area
Pied-billed Grebe (3)