OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 20:16:20 -0500
I hit several areas around this SE Columbus suburb yesterday afternoon and this morning, focusing on the Elk Run Park, the Groveport towpath park, Cruiser Pond, and the Blacklick bikepath.  The snow hadn't melted back except over the paved bikepath, and the weather was still chilly, but early migrants seemed the be starting.  Highlights included:

Bald Eagle - none roosting at Cruiser Pond (although they have been reported there recently), but I did have an adult fly south over the pond today.  These sightings suggest a nest nearby, but no candidate locations have jumped out yet.

Pileated Woodpecker - 1 was calling along the Blacklick Creek corridor, a spot that looks good for them (but has lacked them until now)

Blue Jays - small groups almost everywhere, implying that these guys are on the move now, especially since they're not very common at these locations.

Brown Creeper - singles at Elk Run and the Blacklick Creek corridor are less than will be seen during migration, so these have not started much movement yet.

Kinglets - a single Ruby-crown at Elk Run and Golden-crowns at several sites.  These birds are starting to come through.

Horned Larks - hardly any, despite being in decent habitat.  Many of them may already have left.

Tree Sparrows - small numbers at almost every stop, mostly places where they were not seen during the winter, says that they're also starting to move north.

Fox Sparrows - a single bird at Elk Run is also likely an early migrant, as none were here over the winter.