OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
Bill Kaye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Kaye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 2010 02:16:10 -0400
Awesome morning yesterday. Lot's of activity though no Eagles spotted the Northern Harriers were
very active as two females and one male were cruising the fields. Two Red-headed Woodpeckers
observed. First of the season...Amazing. Two Mute Swans spotted on one of the ponds along with
Buffleheads, Northern Shovelers and Ring billed Ducks and about a million Canada geese...lol. At my
work today I saw the first Tree Swallows along Mosquito Creek as well as those winged non birds but
mammals....bats....hey they fly right?  We have a Heron rookery at my work as well and let me tell you
these birds do display some very peculiar rituals this time of year. They will all fly off of their nests at
the same time heading to who knows where but the sky is filled with them creating a very surreal
image indeed. Spring has sprung.