OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 2010 15:13:05 -0700
Mo Bacik and I tallied 70 species while trekking around the Northwest today.  As Karl Overman noted yesterday, waterfowl numbers have dropped to a mere fraction of their level at this time last week, and the super-productive flooded farm fields in the area have all but dried up.  Several impoundments near the auto tour's end at Veler Rd. held good numbers of Gadwall (500) and wigeon (250), but there were less 100 ducks total at Metzger in place of thousands last weekend.  Highlights:

Blue-winged Teal  5  Ottawa
Northern Harrier  5  four at Magee, including two males heading north over the lake together not long after dawn, perhaps remnants of yesterday's hawk movement
Red-shouldered Hawk  2  Ottawa  again probably grounded here yesterday
Lesser Yellowlegs  2  Darsch Rd.
American Woodcock  5  Magee
Bonaparte's Gull  10  Magee
Great Horned Owl  1
Rusty Blackbird  30  one dark-eyed fem. type

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland