OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
Aaron Bartley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Bartley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:22:56 -0400
Earlier today I spotted a pair of LONG-TAILED DUCKS swimming at West Branch SP (Portage County) using my scope.  They were seen from the East Boat Ramp swimming out in the middle of the deeper water.  Their plumage and extremely long tails were very distinctive and I thought they were a male/female pair, but consulting my field guild they were both males one in nonbreeding plumage and the other in his breeding.  This boat ramp can be reached off Wayland Rd. near the dam.  Also, walking the dam there were quite a few waterfowl including 11 HORNED GREBES a few just starting to gain their rufous horns.

Location: West Branch SP
Observation date: 3/21/10
Number of species: 32

Canada Goose 43