OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
Kim Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:20:43 -0500
Hello Everyone,

Spring migration is definitely underway! Some of you might not be aware of
this, but there's a significant migratory movement of American Crows
through Northwestern Ohio in early spring.  I saw a huge flock of crows
passing over the BSBO office yesterday and waterfowl are on the move as
well.  There's also been an obvious increase in the number of American Tree
Sparrows at sites in Ottawa County where only a few were evident all
winter, and a few of them are starting to "practice" singing their
delightful song.

Here in the great slushy north, BSBO and our partners are working very hard
to make it easy for people visiting the Lake Erie Marsh Region to
experience the tremendous rush of spring songbird migration that weaves its
magic spell around anyone fortunate enough to be here in late April and
early May. Here are just a couple of things we're working on:

The Biggest Week In American Birding festival
While it's true that a number of the trips during the Biggest Week In
American Birding are sold out, there are still a lot of opportunities for
guided birding during the festival.  All you need to do is register for any
of the wonderful late-morning presentations, afternoon workshops, and
evening programs (most of which are free), and you'll be eligible for
multiple guided walks taking place every day at 8:00 AM, 11:00 AM, and 3:00
PM at Magee Marsh, and 3:00 PM every day we'll be offering a Guided
Shorebird Walk at Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge. These walks are being
led by the world-class leaders who have led birding tours all over the
world. All you have do is show up, show your Biggest Week name tag, and
you're in! We have enough guides to divide the groups up and ensure that
everyone has a quality experience.
http://biggestweekinamericanbirding.com/

Our Birding Website
Of course, you don't need the festival to come here and see lots of birds.
One of the best things about this area is how incredibly easy it is to
navigate on your own.  We've got some great birding maps and tons of other
birding information that we offer as free downloads on our birding website
that makes it even easier to come on your own.
http://www.bsbo.org/birding/

And you don't have to wait until May to start celebrating migration in
Ohio!   Here are two great festivals taking place SOON!
Amish Bird Symposium: http://www.adamscountytravel.org/
Shreve Migration Sensation: http://www.valkyrie.net/~rehmje/migration/

No matter where you go out birding this spring I hope you'll invite a new
birder to go along with you to share in the fun!

Thank you so much,

~kim

Kim Kaufman
Executive Director