OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:36:45 -0400
On Friday, Paula and I conducted the monthly census on Kelleys Island.  This
is the 13th year for the March census and beautiful weather.  But as with
the February census, species were down.  We observed 44 species and 5117
individuals.  The average is 54 species and 5532 individuals with a range of
44 to 74 species and 1116 to 12194 individuals.  No new species were added
to the March list.  Several more common species were no where to be found.
For the first time, Great Blue Heron and White-throated Sparrow were
absent.  For only the second time, Golden-crowned Kinglet was absent.
Because of the SW winds we did observe a small hawk movement which got
better in the afternoon.  The highlight of the day was a second-year Iceland
Gull off Long Point.  The Bald Eagle pair appear to be sitting on eggs.

  64 Canada Goose  2 Wood Duck  72 Mallard  3 Double-crested Cormorant  96
Bufflehead  504 Common Goldeneye  5 Common Merganser  571 Red-breasted
Merganser  5 Turkey Vulture  * Bald Eagle  5 Cooper's Hawk  4 Red-shouldered
Hawk  3 Red-tailed Hawk  * Wild Turkey  9 Killdeer  33 Ring-billed
Gull  195 Herring
Gull  1 Iceland Gull  46 Great Black-backed Gull  2 Mourning Dove  1 Eastern
Screech-Owl  3 Red-bellied Woodpecker  1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  29 Downy
Woodpecker  6 Northern Flicker  5 Blue Jay  80 American Crow  3 Horned Lark
76 Black-capped Chickadee  2 White-breasted Nuthatch  1 Brown Creeper
2 Carolina
Wren  2 Eastern Bluebird  348 American Robin  218 European Starling
14 Yellow-rumped
Warbler  3 American Tree Sparrow  1 Song Sparrow  10 Dark-eyed Junco
58 Northern
Cardinal  1012 Red-winged Blackbird  9 Rusty Blackbird  1390 Common Grackle
117 Brown-headed Cowbird  34 House Finch  72 House Sparrow

 44 Total species  5117 Total individuals
** = species observed on the island but not on the census route*

Tom
--
H. Thomas Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio