OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:43:40 -0400
From the dike across from the campground in the north western park of Caesar Creek SP lake, I found a female Black Scoter last evening after arriving at about 6:15 pm and leaving about 7:20 pm.  Spring records of Black Scoter in southwest Ohio are relatively unusual.  I also visited Harveysburg Road and Furnas Boat Ramp.  I managed several long distance photos that may provide documentation, but I have not had time to down load them yet.   The dike can be reached from New Burlington Road north of the Wilson Road turnoff from a gravel pull off on the right across from the first house on the left.  Follow the muddy path about 200 yards through the woods and then climb the dike to a gravel road.  I also walked down the rocky lake side of the dike to get closer to the waterfowl.  The waterfowl were near the west side of the lake but about 200 yards from the top of the dike.  I looked for but did not find the Surf Scoter previously reported from this location, but it may still be present.  I looked for but did not find a definitive Eared Grebe, previously reported from this location.  However, all the grebes had their heads tucked, and otherwise were busy preening, so it was difficult to get a good look at the heads and bills of the grebes.  A scope is necessary.  Here is the species list.

Dike:  Common Loon 2, Horned Grebe 11, Gadwall 2 (m & f), Mallard 3, Blue-winged Teal 5 (4 m, 1 f), Redhead 2 (f), Greater Scaup 5 (4m, 1 f), Lesser Scaup 32 (2/3 m), Black Scoter 1 (f), Red-breasted Merganser 10 (f or im).

Furnas Boat Ramp:  Horned Grebe 14 (very distant), Common Loon 2, Ring-necked Duck 2 (m), Bufflehead 3 (2 m, 1 f).

Haverysburg Road:  Hooded Merganser 8 (very distant)

Jay

Jay G. Lehman
Cincinnati, OH